Thursday, August 18, 2011

15 minutes of fame

Pop culture hero, Andy Warhol, once said, "In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes" and that's never more true than today. Personally, I'm anxiously awaiting my 15 minutes to be over with. Never been a huge fan of attention. I've always felt like I got too much for my liking so this has been a veritable nightmare for me. And for the record, that wasn't the picture that I gave PC Gamer but I do understand why they did it. The picture that I gave them to use was a nice sedate head shot. They used instead what I had on my profile--a picture that I chose to put up there because it was an amazing picture of me. I don't blame them for choosing that one over the one that I supplied simply because I knew anything else could be trouble. It's sad that I knew that and, at the same time, I really respect PC Gamer for using what they did. It made for a better story and acts as a reminder to me that I shouldn't ever have to hide who I am.

It's just unfortunate that a small few have chosen to, under the guise of anonymity, make commentary that they wouldn't ever have the balls to say to me should I be standing right in front of them. Trust me, I know they wouldn't. I have been to enough lans to understand that the difference between how a guy will talk to me on a server and how they will respond to me when I'm right in front of them is huge. Those few, however, did manage to take away some of the joy of winning an amazing prize--something that I would never have even dreamed of having because I prefer contentment over false hope. Instead of being able to share the PC Gamer article with my family, I was dreading my mom stumbling across it and firmly told my children not to look. Neither of them should have to read commentary that would only embarrass the hell out of them because their daughter or mom happens to be pretty. Even with that small victory, at the end of the day, I still have won an amazing computer, a killer pass code, and a great article in PC Gamer. Thank you so much, PC Gamer. I've always loved you guys and I always will for giving me something that I thought I could never have.

No comments:

Post a Comment